Mayweather twits Pacquiao for a May fight
Floyd Mayweather Jr has just challenged Manny Pacquiao to a 5 May bout in 2012.
For two years already, the world has been waiting for these two top boxing names to meet in the ring, but so far, nothing has been finalized despite both camps’ declaration that they want to fight.
On 11 January, Mayweather posted on Twitter, “Manny Pacquiao I’m calling you out let’s fight May 5th and give the world what they want to see.”
It’s been previously announced that Mayweather has a scheduled bout on 5 May, but it was not revealed who the opponent was.
When Mayweather was convicted December 2011 of domestic battery and two counts of harassment against his former girlfriend Josie Harris, the Las Vegas judge sentenced him to a 90-day jail term but let Mayweather serve the sentence starting June 1 after the boxer’s lawyer argued that the sentence would interfere with Mayweather’s training for the May bout.
It is estimated that the bout would earn $100m for Las Vegas.
Not May but June
Pacquiao, who has not updated his Twitter status for nearly a month already, has not yet responded to Mayweather’s challenge.
Boxing promoter Bob Arum, however, said that from what he knows, Mayweather’s camp is already talking with boxer Robert Guerrero’s camp about the May fight.
Arum said that he would only take Mayweather’s offer if the fight was scheduled for June 9, adding that he’s willing to “chip in for lawyers’ fees” so that Mayweather’s serve time could be moved to after June 9. He explained that they need time to put up a 40,000-seat arena, much bigger than the 16,000-seat MGM Grand, to maximize the extra $40m that a Pacquiao-Mayweather fight could generate.
“You don’t throw $40 million away,” Arum said.